CDM Smith Lead Data Warehouse Architect in Kansas City, Missouri
Exciting opportunities exist within CDM Smith's Business Technology organization for highly motivated and dynamic minded individuals. Ground-breaking innovation and a pioneering spirit are driving a number of cloud-based automation and virtualization projects that are transforming our technology landscape.
CDM Smith is seeking a Lead Data Warehouse Architect to join our Business Technology group. This individual oversees the overall design and implementation of enterprise-wide data/information architecture including the firm’s enterprise data warehouse and monitors adherence. Consults on the most challenging data related situations where solutions include the combination of technology and business process. Manages the overall enterprise data model and defines the architecture standards, policies, and procedures for the firm in collaboration with Information Technology (IT) management, senior business leaders, and executive management. This individual will also be responsible for leading the technical teams responsible for development, testing, and deployment of the data warehouse and surrounding architecture.
• Develops the enterprise wide data strategy and applies that to development of a data architecture supporting all areas of the firm. Creates and maintains an enterprise data architecture map as the ongoing foundation and approves all architecture changes and decisions. Implements and leads teams that translate strategic requirements into enterprise information architecture, including an enterprise data model, associated meta-model, common business vocabulary, ontologies and taxonomies used to guide enterprise solution development. Acts as chief data modeler responsible for development and management of the overall enterprise wide architecture model and approves all changes. Conducts necessary data model/mapping reviews and hand-offs to the delivery teams
• Partners with IT management and Program Manager to review business needs and ensures that the enterprise information architecture is aligned with strategic initiatives, firm’s goals, priorities, and standards. Works with Program Manger to develop project plans and schedules and provides daily technical oversight. Manages and approves technical deliverables and outcomes of key activities, meetings and discussions. Leads technical execution across multiple project management methodologies including Waterfall and Agile as needed
• Consults on the most complex enterprise wide data related projects and issues where significant changes or new initiatives in technology and business processes may be required. Challenges targeted solutions that should be viewed at the enterprise level and escalates to senior roles as needed. Designs the data architecture to integrate new applications and functionality into the existing IT environment. Diagnoses and address major system problems of performance and data availability and accuracy.
• Partners with other leaders in data architecture and data management to develop a complete data vision. Addresses standard business processes and timing, reporting and analytics, data acquisition, and change management at the enterprise wide level. Validates all use-cases against the enterprise architecture & data model and ensures successful implementation of data warehouse strategy and technical deliverables.
• Provides technical direction to development, business analysts, and QA roles on risks and issues escalated and clears roadblocks. Gives technical guidance and training to more junior staff and supervises their activities. Creates and provides firm-wide training and documentation on related systems and tools as needed.
• Assists in vendor selection, assessment of vendor performance, and product evaluation. Liaisons with these tech partners to solve issues.
• Monitors the security, integrity and quality of data by initiating periodic audit programs of data quality, security; and audits testing the adherence to standards by technical teams. Monitors results and corrective action plans. Approves access to environments as needed.
• Partners with IT management to creates project and annual budgets and forecasts. Manages software license renewals and administration
Lead Data Warehouse Architect
CDM Smith Employment Type:
• Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems or related discipline.
• 10 Years of related experience.
Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
•\tWork hours preferred 8am-5pm in EST, CST or MST. Candidate who can meet these requirements strongly preferred
•\tExpert knowledge of various data architecture modeling and implementation techniques to support transactional, relational, dimensional, and unstructured data requirements.
•\tDemonstrated skill and experience in working with large offshore development teams.
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Why CDM Smith?:
CDM Smith provides lasting and integrated solutions in water, environment, transportation, energy and facilities to public and private clients worldwide. As a full-service consulting, engineering, construction, and operations firm, we deliver exceptional client service, quality results and enduring value across the entire project life cycle.
Job Site Location:
United States - Nationwide
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
Amount of Travel Required:
Visa Sponsorship Available:
No - We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for this position
Skills and Abilities:
• Expert understanding and experience with all functions of the data management life-cycle including data modeling, data governance, data architecture, data integration, metadata management, data development, data quality management, data administration, security & operations.
• Experience with cloud platform tools and modern data architecture solution techniques such as cloud data warehousing, data lakes, and advanced query platforms is required.
• Experience with modern tools used for working with structured and unstructured data. Ability to visualize and communicate results clearly. Expert in manipulating SQL queries.
• Demonstrated competency gathering and documenting business requirements.
• Demonstrated consensus building abilities.
• Proven skills to work effectively across internal functional areas in ambiguous situations.
• Structured thinker and effective communicator, comfortable interacting with constituents.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work in a cross functional team environment.
• Excellent attention to detail and complex problem-solving capabilities.
• Proven capabilities with decision support, financial reporting and dashboards is desired.
• Ability to lead and mentor junior staff.
Background Check and Drug Testing Information:
CDM Smith reserves the right to require background checks including criminal, employment, education, licensure, etc. as well as credit and motor vehicle when applicable for certain positions. In addition, CDM Smith may conduct drug testing for designated positions.
Background checks are conducted after an offer of employment has been made in the United States. The timing of when background checks will be conducted on candidates for positions outside the United States will vary based on country statutory law but in no case, will the background check precede an interview.
CDM Smith will conduct interviews of qualified individuals prior to requesting a criminal background check, and no job application submitted prior to such interview shall inquire into an applicant's criminal history. If this position is subject to a background check for any convictions related to its responsibilities and requirements, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify a candidate.
In addition, during employment individuals may be required by CDM Smith or a CDM Smith client to successfully complete additional background checks, including motor vehicle record as well as drug testing.