Black & Veatch Tower Tech - Helper in Kansas City, Missouri
Tower Tech - Helper
Overland Contracting Inc. (OCI), a Black & Veatch company, provides construction services in the open/merit shop arena. Since 1996, OCI has been an industry leader in building vital infrastructure and provides a comprehensive range of construction services in the areas of power generation, power delivery, telecommunications, and water. Tailored to fit our clients' project-specific needs, services are available through direct hire or subcontract options utilizing open or merit shop labor in support of EPC projects, as well as construction-only work for the water, energy and telecommunications markets.
Assist tower erectors with the repair, installation or maintenance of mobile or stationary radio transmitting,
broadcasting, and receiving equipment, and two‐way radio communications systems used in cellular telecommunications, mobile broadband, ship‐to‐shore, aircraft‐to‐ground communications, and radio equipment in service and emergency vehicles in accordance with all applicable plans, specifications, codes and industry standards. May help test and analyze network coverage.
This position is open to minimal experience - must feel comfortable climbing towers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Use appropriate hand and power tools to properly measure, cut, bend, assemble and erect all components
necessary for lifting, moving and installing equipment, materials, lines, antennae etc. in accordance with the applicable plans, specifications codes and industry standards.
• Learn to read work orders, blueprints, plans, datasheets or site drawings to determine work to be done.
• As directed, help inspect completed work to ensure all hardware is tight, antennas are level, hangers are properly
fastened, proper support is in place, or adequate weather proofing has been installed.
• Bolt equipment into place, using hand or power tools.
• Help tower erectors as necessary in the testing operation of tower transmission components, using sweep testing
tools or software.
• Run appropriate power, ground, or coaxial cables.
• Learn to and help tower erectors check antenna positioning to ensure specified azimuths or mechanical tilts and
adjust as necessary.
• Replace existing antennas with new antennas as directed.
• Help install all necessary transmission equipment components, including antennas or antenna mounts, surge
arrestors, transmission lines, connectors, or tower‐mounted amplifiers (TMAs).
• Take site survey photos or photos of work performed, using digital cameras.
• When necessary or requested complete reports related to project status, progress, or other work details, using
• Participate in all safety related processes and programs as requested. Engage with your work team to ensure we achieve zero injuries. Understand that no job is so important that your safety and that of your crew will be compromised. Watch for hazards and report any concerns to your supervisor or safety professional. If needed, use your stop work authority until the issue is resolved.
• Report all accidents and near misses to supervisor; participate in investigation process as needed.
• Participate in all pre‐job work planning and safety discussions; Identify safety hazards you or other employees may
be subject to and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate and/or mitigate hazards.
• Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (i.e. back‐up alarms, smell of
smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens).
• Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean work environment.
• Use effective verbal and written communication skills. Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions rapidly and accurately.
• Listen to co‐workers suggestions, safety concerns, and recommendations giving full attention to what they are
saying and take the time to understand the points being made, asking questions and providing feedback when
• Coordinate work with other crafts and co‐workers on the job.
• Actively participate in on‐the‐job training and mentoring opportunities with co‐workers in your craft when provided.
• Produce quality work, meeting requirements of plans, specifications and industry standards.
• Learn to read and understand plans and specifications. Visualize two dimensional drawings in three dimensions.
• With regard to that portion of the work assigned, assist in planning, installing and/or repair systems in accordance
with those plans and specifications. Assist tower erectors in laying out work and learn to perform layout
• Examine/inspect field conditions and identify problems, inaccuracies, and cost saving measures that arise or that
may be encountered. Take corrective actions as needed reporting any issues to your supervision.
• If certified to operate equipment ensure that construction equipment is correctly operated, maintained, in good working order, and Daily Equipment Inspections are completed for equipment being utilized.
• Comply with Company Code of Conduct and jobsite policies.
• Perform all other job related duties as requested by supervisor.
Experience working as a tower erector or a similar craft as a helper or laborer, and a basic knowledge of the tower
craft. Developing Knowledge of the construction, testing, maintenance, and repair of transmission, broadcasting,
switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems. Ability to understand and follow directions. In addition, must have all necessary tools (see Tower Erector Helper Tool list). Must be at least 18 years of age.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• NCCER Construction Craft Laborer
• NCCER Core Curriculum or equivalent Craft Training Program
• Valid Driver’s License
• DOT Certification
• Good driving record – ability to comply with Company Driving Policy
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.