Washington University of St. Louis Cage Wash Technician - Comparative Medicine - 49407 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. This position requires work on weekends and holidays.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Division of Comparative Medicine. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Operate and maintain mechanical cage washers and bulk autoclaves in accordance with departmental SOPs to sanitize/sterilize animal caging and related equipment. Sanitize animal research procedure labs and support spaces according to departmental SOPs and in accordance with guidelines of Animal Welfare Act and Public Health Service. Stock feed, bedding, and laboratory supplies, including personnel protective equipment. Contribute to the quality animal care program that supports the research and teaching at Washington University.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operate mechanical cage washers and bulk autoclaves in accordance with departmental SOPs to sanitize/sterilize animal caging and related equipment. Promptly report any equipment problems to supervisor or manager.
- Fill clean animal cages with proper amount and type of bedding and fill clean water bottles.
- Conduct daily, weekly and other periodic maintenance of cage wash equipment, including conducting and logging quality assurance test. Observe and support good health and safety practices regarding the use of chemicals and equipment.
- Transport animal cages, large equipment, water bottles, and feed and bedding supplies within the animal facilities.
- Conduct general cleaning and housekeeping of cage wash and service areas, including washing walls, floors, equipment, air vents, sinks, doors, door frames and feed containers.
- Perform additional duties as required by supervisor/manager/department.
- High school diploma or equivalent high school certification.
- Obtain Purina certification within six months of hire.
- After training, ability to properly operate a variety of cleaning and sanitizing equipment including: rack washers, autoclaves, tunnel washers, floor scrubbers etc.
- Conscientious attitude and concern for quality.
The hiring range for this position is $13.80 - $14.44 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
The individual must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Cage Wash Technician - Comparative Medicine - 49407
Job ID: 49407
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time