Washington University of St. Louis Clinical Laboratory Technician - Siteman Cancer Center - 50961 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week. Position hours are generally Monday through Friday and occasionally Saturday and Sunday for the on-call program.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is for the Siteman Cancer Center. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The Siteman Cancer Center is seeking an organized and motivated individual to join the Sample Processing Group within the Tissue Procurement Core shared research laboratory. This position is responsible for a broad range of laboratory tasks needed to support cancer and other biomedical research studies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform routine processing of human tissue and blood following Standard Operating Procedures.
- Perform routine data entry into the laboratory inventory database and compile data for review; utilize spreadsheets and word processing programs.
- Store and retrieve frozen specimens from cryogenic storage systems, freezers, and liquid nitrogen tanks.
- May assist with validation of new processing techniques, workflows and equipment and compile reports in collaboration with laboratory management.
- Perform general use maintenance, calibration and cleaning of laboratory equipment; maintain thorough and complete records.
- Monitor laboratory supplies to ensure adequate supply for laboratory activities, assisting with general supply orders.
- May participate in On-Call program for after-hours monitoring of specimen storage equipment and environmental systems.
Associate degree (Medical Lab Technician or related scientific degree).
- Bachelor’s degree in physical life science and clinical laboratory experience.
- ASCP registry or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to perform tasks in an organized and systematic manner.
- Experience working with and maintaining standard laboratory equipment.
- Experience with standard blood and tissue processing techniques.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Capacity to maintain complete and organized records.
- Excellent time management skills, ability to multitask, troubleshoot problems and perform tasks independently.
- Aptitude for patience, professionalism, tactfulness and empathy.
The hiring range for this position is $17.58 - $21.98 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological, chemical and extreme temperature (liquid nitrogen, dry ice) hazards. The individual must be able to wear personal protective equipment (lab coat, gloves, eye protection).
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Clinical Laboratory Technician - Siteman Cancer Center - 50961
Job ID: 50961
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time