Washington University of St. Louis Greenhouse Assistant (Part-time) - Biology - School of Arts & Sciences - 48044 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is part-time and works approximately 20 hours per week, including one weekend day. Occasional holiday work hours may be required.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Biology. This position is for the Danforth Campus in the School of Arts & Sciences.
Assist in plant maintenance in the Biology Greenhouse, growth chambers facility, the Eisendrath garden, and interior landscape within the Biology department on the Danforth Campus.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Re-pot, water, fertilize, relocate plants in the greenhouses, garden, and growth chambers.
- Assist in maintenance of plant growth facilities and infrastructure, such as cleaning, washing reusable containers, and moving supplies to needed areas. Provide assistance and/or guidance to growers as appropriate.
- Monitor room temperatures and growing conditions while doing the work and call for assistance when needed.
- Advice faculty and students in determining proper protocol for plant care.
- Communicate with facility users on making appointments and scheduling times for accessing the area.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Associate degree in horticulture and one year of experience working in a greenhouse or equivalent work experience and some horticulture education for mulitple years.
- Demonstrated understanding of plant care, including watering, fertilization, and pest identification.
- Ability to fulfill physical requirements of the job, including lifting/moving 45 lb. bags of soil, moving loads of trays and pots, dragging hoses, and being on one’s feet for hours.
- Dependability is a must for the well being of the plants.
- Ability to work independently and problem solve, especially on weekends, and exercise good judgment in determining appropriate amounts of water to apply to match the needs of different plants and growing conditions.
- Ability to follow and implement directions.
- Ability to recognize signs of pest infestation or watering issues and equipment problems, modify treatment accordingly and seek input from the greenhouse supervisor in a timely manner. Failure to do so can result in destruction of long term research project, jeopardize careers, and waste scarce resources.
- Associate degree in horticulture.
- One year of experience working in a greenhouse.
The hiring range for this position is $13.80 - $16.53 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for part-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
Typical greenhouse and growth chamber conditions—dirt, dust, fertilizers, chemicals, stooping and bending, standing and walking on hard and slippery surfaces, frequent lifting of 45 lb. bags of soil, and coping with heat and humidity indoors and outdoors.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Greenhouse Assistant (Part-time) - Biology - School of Arts & Sciences - 48044
Job ID: 48044
Location: School of Arts & Sciences
Full/Part Time: Part-Time