Washington University of St. Louis Health & Safety Professional III - Environmental Health and Safety - Biological Safety Division - 49518 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Environmental Health and Safety, Division of Biological Safety. This position is located on the Medical School Campus.
This position reports to the Associate Biological Safety Officer of the Environmental Health & Safety Department (EH&S) at Washington University (WU) in St. Louis, Missouri and will have frequent contact with the other Health & Safety Professionals in the Division of Biological Safety. This position assists EH&S in providing a safe work environment, fostering a safety culture among University staff and helps to maintain the institution's compliance with federal, state and local environmental and safety regulations. This position works closely with key personnel including the Assistant Vice Chancellor of EH&S and EH&S staff, the Biological Safety Director, Departmental Administrators, faculty and staff. This position works closely with key University Administration personnel including but not limited to Information Systems, Faculty Practice Plan, Occupational & Student Health Services, Habif Health & Wellness Center, General Counsel's office and Facilities staff. This position will potentially have contact with various regulatory agencies including, but not limited to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of Health, the Joint Commission and the DOT/IATA/FAA. This position is responsible for making decisions that affect others' safety and wellbeing. This position also serves as the EH&S liaison to several hospital safety committees.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct safety and compliance audits of clinics (on-site and off-site) and laboratories, with a focus on higher-risk areas; maintain inspection data in EH&S database.
- Follow-up audits as necessary to verify corrective actions are conducted approximately every six months, or more often as needed.
- Provide technical guidance to research and clinic staff on personal protective equipment selection, selection and use of containment equipment, when moving or closing out clinics, or as needed.
- Assist with IBC Program management, review protocols submitted to the IBC, and perform targeted inspections of lab and clinic areas in support of IBC protocol reviews.
- Assist with development and delivery of biological safety training.
- Assist with development and annual update of EH&S research and clinic policies and procedures.
- Serve as the WU EH&S liaison to Infection Prevention and other committees with joint oversight of WU clinics.
- Serve as a member of the WU Hazardous Materials Spill Response Team (HAZWOPER).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree with coursework in health sciences, basic sciences or a related field with two years of experience in EH&S or a related field, OR a bachelor's.degree in an unrelated field and an equivalent of four years of experience in EH&S or a related field.
- Master of Science degree in health sciences, basic sciences or a related field.
- One year of experience in EH&S or a related field.
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification and research laboratory or clinic experience are strongly preferred.
The hiring range for this position is $56,472 - $73,000 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) and lift and move while wearing self-contained breathing apparatus and fully encapsulating suits.
- Use of specialized equipment (Mercury Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), Air Monitoring Equipment, etc.
- Occasional lifting >25 pounds.
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical which includes an Essential Function Test.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Health & Safety Professional III - Environmental Health and Safety - Biological Safety Division - 49518
Job ID: 49518
Location: Medical School