Washington University of St. Louis Research Technician I - Pulmonary and Critical Care - 50328 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is within the Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, which is on the Medical School Campus.
This position is responsible for assisting with laboratory duties in a research setting; performs routine tests with direction from the supervisor, manager or higher-level technician.
This project concerns drug development for post-viral lung disease, including influenza and coronavirus infections, covering the spectrum from progressive respiratory failure to chronic conditions, such as asthma. The project also extends this issue into cancer models that overlap in epithelial stem cell biology. The project covers the entire range of drug discovery and development, but current goals are focused on pharmacology and toxicology to enable the next step to clinical application. Activities include studies in mice and rats in vivo to assess mechanism, pharmacokinetics, and toxicokinetics as well as working in collaboration with lab members performing medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, structural and cell biology to define drug-target interactions and signaling mechanism of action. In addition, there will be collaboration with CRO- and biotech-based activities.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the investigator or higher-level technician with research studies, experiments and assays, including collection of data, preparation of solutions and set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Maintains files on research and assists with data entry.
- Assists with general lab maintenance and cleaning.
High school diploma or equivalent high school certification.
- Experience in one or more of the following approaches: cell and molecular assays for RNA and/or protein, conventional and fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry, pharmacology and toxicology using in vitro and in vivo approaches, and mouse models of viral infection and/or cancer.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain complete and organized records/reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software.
- Analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of standard laboratory policies, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to work well independently or as a team member.
The hiring range for this position is $13.80 - $15.97 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician I - Pulmonary and Critical Care - 50328
Job ID: 50328
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time