Washington University of St. Louis Research Technician II - Neurology - 49619 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neurology. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
This is a position for a research technician in a neurovirology laboratory in the Division of Pediatric Neurology at the Washington University School of Medicine. The technician assists the PI and lab members to characterize neuropathologic changes in young mice in response to viral infection, along with other research projects. This position assists with the technical aspects of studies and experiments, including documentation and preparation of materials.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with research studies, experiments and assays, including collection of data, preparation of solutions and set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Assists with mouse colony management, including breeding and genotyping.
- Assists with the isolation of tissues from mice, quantitative PCR, and viral assays.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and experiment conditions.
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Assists with general lab maintenance and cleaning.
Bachelor’s degree and up to one year of experience in a laboratory setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling four years.
- Experience in molecular biology.
- Experience working with viruses and mice.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and ability to work independently.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records and reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software and general lab equipment.
- Willing to work to work with viruses and mice in a Biosafety Level 3 environment.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research Technician II - Neurology - 49619
Job ID: 49619
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time