Washington University of St. Louis Research/Lab Technician I - Energy, Environmental & Chemical Engineering - 48790 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Energy, Environmental and Chemical Engineering. This position is for the Danforth Campus in the McKelvey School of Engineering.
The technician aims to assist in research performed by the graduate and postdocs in Dr. Zhang's lab. The technician's duty is to support the general operations of the lab and to ensure that the Zhang lab members have the support they need to conduct their research (our website: http://zhang.eece.wustl.edu). The technician will be trained by the graduate students and postdocs in the Zhang lab.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist lab personnel with projects and experiments that they need help with, including setting up experiments, running experiments, collecting data, and analyzing the results.
- Prepare stock solutions and media. Autoclave items for lab personnel. Help with dishwashing and item ordering. Ensure that inventory is always stocked and inform the lab of the items that are needed to be ordered.
- Help the safety officer (e.g. keep online chemical inventory and posted abbreviations list updated).
- Help maintain lab equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High school degree or equivalent high school certification and an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling four years in biology, bioengineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, or a related field; or a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, bioengineering, biomedical engineering, or a related field.
- Research laboratory experience in synthetic biology or related fields.
- Familiarity with molecular cloning, bacterial cell cultures, and other molecular biology assays.
- Ability to work independently, communicate with laboratory members, and maintain organized records/reports.
- Basic wet lab skills and knowledge of biological lab instruments.
- General computer skills, such as word processing, Excel, etc. Use of basic computer programs.
- Motivation to learn new things and diligence.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
The hiring range for this position is $13.80 - $15.97 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
Work is conducted in a research laboratory. This position may require safety training and wearing protective equipment. Sitting, standing, bending and lifting items <25 lbs and repetitive wrist, hand and/or finger movement are involved.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research/Lab Technician I - Energy, Environmental & Chemical Engineering - 48790
Job ID: 48790
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time