Washington University of St. Louis Research/Lab Technician II - Biomedical Engineering - 51340 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. This position is for the Danforth Campus in the School of Engineering.
Primary responsibilities are to maintain the lab’s supply of mammalian and human induced pluripotent stem cells, perform routine tissue culture protocols, differentiation of cells into cardiomyocytes, and optimize protocols for cryopreservation and thawing of cardiomyocytes. Also responsible for assisting with formation of engineered heart muscle, performing physiology studies, occasional molecular biology assays, assisting other lab members with electrophysiological recording, and maintaining accurate laboratory records.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Research Assistance:
- Assist supervisor and lab members with research responsibilities, primarily maintenance of mammalian and human induced pluripotent stem cells and routine differentiation into cardiomyocytes. Assist in forming engineered heart tissues to study the effects of various drugs on tissue physiology.
- Prepare and Maintain Reagent Stocks and Chemicals:
- Prepare reagents and equipment for daily use.
- Prepare culture media.
- Monitor status of related lab stock reagents and chemicals.
- Lab Equipment and Facilities:
- Monitor tissue culture incubators and help maintain sterile working conditions within the tissue culture room.
- Waste management: Monitor and foster proper handling of hazardous, sharps, and biohazard waste.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and one year of experience in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling five years.
- Strong interest in science research and cell culture.
- Experience working with mammalian cells or human pluripotent stem cells is strongly preferred.
- Organizational: Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Work ethic: Ability to self-motivate and work efficiently, accurately, and independently.
- Interpersonal: Ability to work in a multi-cultural team with different personalities.
- Competence: Willing and able to learn new techniques as required.
The hiring range for this position is $14.07 - $18.99 per hour.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position will have exposure to chemicals, requires protective devices and safety training.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Research/Lab Technician II - Biomedical Engineering - 51340
Job ID: 51340
Location: School of Engineering
Full/Part Time: Full-Time