Express Scripts Senior Manager, Software Engineering in St. Louis, Missouri
This position will lead a software development team responsible for end to end software delivery within the Corporate Systems domain, which includes systems and services that support Rebates, Guarantees, Pricing and Underwriting, Clinical Analytics, Finance, and ERP. Primary responsibilities will include managing a team consisting of software engineers, and QA automation engineers.The Sr. Manager has full accountability for the work of all members of the team and also represents, strategizes and promotes continuous improvement of methodologies, technology, and engineering competencies within the department.This person is also responsible for providing timely feedback to their team members and assisting their leadership with year-end calibration and identification of high performers.
- Lead a team of employees and contractors in one or more sites for delivery of software development projects for new and existing systems and services.
- Oversees determination of feasibility, cost and time required, and compatibility with current policies, procedures, and functions for development requests
- Coordinates with cross functional teams including business partners, product owners, and delivery managers to deliver projects and products in alignment with business objectives.
- Builds and continually matures the software development team to ensure projects/development efforts are adequately staffed, trained and managed.
- Tracks and periodically reports progress to senior management.Assists in the budget planning and management for their department.
- Owns and delivers on the technical health roadmap for the software systems assigned to the team.
- Measures and continually improves upon the agile development maturity of the team
- Establishes and monitors objectives for the team members to align with department strategies and objectives
- Works to develop employee’s skills and competencies, evaluates performance and provides feedback, and oversees resolution of employee relations issues.
- Works with departmental leadership to develop and implement strategic business work plan goals.
- 8-12 years with a Bachelor’s degree; 6-10yrears with a Master's degree; 4-8 years with a Ph.D; 14-18 years without a Bachelor's degree.
- Previous supervisory experience in leading a technical team
- Ability to motivate employees, handle difficult employee relations issues and create a culture that supports high employee morale.
- Advanced problem solving skills and the ability to work collaboratively with other departments to resolve complex issues with innovative solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work load and meet project deadlines.
- Extensive understanding of and experience with Software Engineering concepts and methodologies.
- Knowledge of web and service based delivery using technologies including Java and .NET
- Experience with modern software architecture and design principles and patterns
- Budget, resource management and forecasting experience preferred.
- Experience with greenfield application development and replatforming/modernizing applications
- Experience in agile development and continuous delivery practices is highly desirable.
- Experience in DevOps environment is highly desirable.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Do you have a passion for programming and find yourself asking “I wonder if I could do it this way…”? Our software engineering teams start with strategy and then create, test and deploy our client and patient applications. The result? Innovative, high-performing, scalable user-facing solutions relied on by millions every day. We work in an Agile environment, partnering with teams across the organization to craft exceptional applications – with the ultimate goal of improving health outcomes for the 83 million patients we serve.
ABOUT EXPRESS SCRIPTS
Advance your career with the company that makes it easier for people to choose better health.
Express Scripts is a leading healthcare company serving tens of millions of consumers. We are looking for individuals who are passionate, creative and committed to creating systems and service solutions that promote better health outcomes. Join the company that Fortune magazine ranked as one of the "Most Admired Companies" in the pharmacy category. Then, use your intelligence, creativity, integrity and hard work to help us enhance our products and services. We offer a highly competitive base salary and a comprehensive benefits program, including medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, 401(k) with company match, life insurance, paid time off, tuition assistance and an employee stock purchase plan.
Express Scripts is an equal opportunity employer/disability/veteran