Washington University of St. Louis Staff Scientist - Biomedical Engineering - 49761 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. This position is for the Danforth Campus in the School of Engineering. The ability to travel to on- and off-campus locations may be required.
The Staff Scientist assists in developing and conducting research projects, including experimental design, data analysis, and documentation of experimental results. The position writes manuscripts, assists with writing research proposals and reports, and trains other students/postdoctoral fellows in the lab.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Following instructions and discussions with principal investigator, designs research protocols, including developing procedures for the collection, verification and management of data.
- Documents research topics and prepares and submits papers based on research work to publications and committees for publication or presentation to peers.
- Assists with grant preparation and reporting.
- Performs complex statistical analysis of data collected and writes interpretative reports. Verifies the correctness of the data submitted and makes recommendations based on these analyses.
- Solves practical problems relating to difficulties with assays, protocols, and equipment. Suggests technical or procedural improvements in testing methods.
- Conducts literature searches related to research project.
- Trains other recruits to the lab.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree and three years of experience or a doctoral degree in biomedical engineering, neuroscience, cancer biology, genetics of cancer, or a related field.
- Training in animal research will be required.
- Ph.D. degree in a related field.
- Prior experience working with animal models.
- Basic training in neuroscience, cancer biology, or genetics.
- Analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical data and to communicate data in a clear, concise manner.
- Computer literacy, including the ability to use a variety of software packages to analyze data.
The hiring range for this position is $43,856 - $59,222 annually.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Applicant Special Instructions
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment. Must be able to provide standard care to research animals.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Staff Scientist - Biomedical Engineering - 49761
Job ID: 49761
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time