Washington University of St. Louis Staff Scientist (Image Data Analysis) - Center for Cellular Imaging - 49177 in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Neuroscience. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
The Washington University Center for Cellular Imaging (WUCCI) at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis is a dynamic microscopy center whose mission is to provide reliable and affordable access to state-of-the-art imaging technologies and work collaboratively with Wash U researchers to advance our understanding of human health and disease. The center houses a broad array of optical, electron, ion and x-ray microscopes as well as support facilities for tissue culture and sample preparation. The Center supports Wash U principal investigators by providing professional guidance in experimental design, sample preparation and data analysis as well as working to develop and apply new imaging technologies to problems of critical biological significance.
The Staff Scientist (Imaging Data Analysis) will assist in developing and conducting research projects, including design, analysis and documentation of results with a specific focus on the development and application of advanced microscopy image analysis techniques.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Following instructions and discussions with principal investigator, designs research protocols, including developing procedures for the collection, verification and management of data. Specific tasks may include:
- Provision of advanced level instruction to center users on a variety of image analysis techniques;
- Development of on-line based educational materials for user trainings;
- Designing of custom workflows for microscopy image data analysis using either commercial or lab-developed software;
- Management of center's image analysis software including license maintenance and software updates;
- Provision of high-level troubleshooting to solve user issues with software and computer hardware.
- Assists PI/Center Director with grant preparation and reporting.
- Performs complex analysis of data collected and writes interpretative reports. Verifies the correctness of the data submitted ensuring compliance ethical image processing standards.
- Performs complex analyses on multi-dimensional microscopy data;
- Tomograhpic reconstructions of 3D imaging data from multiple modalities;
- Construction of 3D models of reconstructed imaging data.
- Documents research topics and prepares and submits papers based on research work to publications and committees for publication or presentation to peers.
- Solves practical problems relating to difficulties with image analysis. Suggests technical or procedural improvements in data analysis methods used. Specific tasks may include:
- Identification and evaluation of new analysis approaches/algorithms;
- Development of new image processing/analysis algorithms with an emphasis on machine and deep learning approaches.
- Conducts literature searches related to research project and keeps informed of new developments and technical advances in image analysis in the biomedical sciences.
Master’s degree with four years of experience in research lab operations or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling nine years.
- Master’s degree in Biological or Biomedical Sciences with 5 years of relevant experience in microscopy and research lab operations experience OR PhD in same fields with a combination of education and experience totaling 9 years.
- Analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical data and to communicate data in a clear, concise manner.
- Computer literacy including the ability to use a variety of image processing packages to analyze microscopy data.
Base pay commensurate with experience.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new position within the university may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
This position is eligible for full-time benefits. Please click the following link to view a summary of benefits: https://wustl.box.com/s/8wkhs25yssf0775x9d6nd6vqa7obpth7.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Staff Scientist (Image Data Analysis) - Center for Cellular Imaging - 49177
Job ID: 49177
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time